Tuesday 19 November 2013

Never give up hope

I’ve heard it said that the danger of “switching off” to watch TV is that we can absorb all sorts of unhelpful messages without properly filtering them. I was recently watching an episode of BBC One’s Merlin (The Sword in the Stone, part 2), where Isolde says to the lovelorn Gwen yearning after King Arthur: “Never give up hope. Love is stronger than anything.”

I had to press pause and consider this for a minute. I thought about some of the things that my heart has yearned for, and I thought, actually, that’s not always the most helpful advice to give someone. I’m sure the same can be said for many of us - on our journeys through life, we desire things that we are not meant to have, that we cannot have, or that sometimes are just black-and-white wrong for us. Sometimes, we instead need people to say to us, “let go”.

The one thing - the only thing - in which we are to hope constantly is in Jesus, and in the joyful peace and the future promise that his death and resurrection offer to us.

“Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.” (Hebrews 10:22-23)

No comments:

Post a Comment